To prepare your new Zisha teapot for use, here are some steps you would need to take. The first step would require you to immerse and boil the whole pot in water but it would be easy to cause damage to the pot’s delicate constitution if you do not have the necessary skill for this procedure. Another method is called the Gerenda method which we suggest you use as it is safe and effective. You can follow the procedure as described below :
1) Put water (room temperature) in the teapot and let it stand for 4-5 hours.
2) Pour the water out then replace with boiling water . Let it stand until the water loses its heat and is reduced to room temperature.
3) Decide which type of tea you intend to brew in your new Zisha teapot. Put the tea leaves in the pot and add boiling water . Again, allow the water to cool to room temperature before pouring out.
4) Without removing the used tea leaves, add water again and let it cool once more. Throw out the water and the tea leaves.
5) You may now enjoy your new teapot.
Yixing teapots are specially designed to steep black and oolong teas whose flavours are retained by the teapot’s walls. You can learn how to use a Yixing teapot by watching this video featuring an owner of a tea lounge who gives several tips in brewing tea with a Yixing teapot :